Wednesday 5 January 2011

Gently Does It

Today I am taking my daily exercise via walking to and from the cooker and the kettle - a day of hard rain, the last day before returning to work, so what could be more essential to one's joie de vivre than pancakes and many cups of tea? And catching up on the luscious crop of fresh posts from all my favourite bloggers. You know who you are.

I am also having a pyjama day due to over-zonking myself on ridulous Destroy-It-Yourself missions yesterday. Man, it was a BAD day. I had two young Lads in to run some tv cabling into son 1 and son 2's rooms - decadent for me, seeing as I grew up with tv not only in a singular quantity, but in black and white, with 3 channels... and you had to get up off the settee (which we modern peeps now call the sofa) to change those very channels. Oh the joy...

The cabling took a very different route to what I had envisaged - too easy to run it up the stairs with the other cables. No, The Lads discovered it could come in via the front bedroom and go through a wall or two. A large Billy had to be emptied and moved to accommodate the cabling. With me all the while pretending that the unfinished state of the house was entirely down to previous occupants and their love of No Nails. The Lads could probably tell from the account details that I have been here for 9 years...

Other than the impromptu bookcase shifting, a blind fell down too. It had already been re-hoiked up 3 times with a good whack of the hammer and much crossing of fingers, but the gaping hole around the fitting said it was finally time to put up the new blind. Purchased last Easter, taken out of packaging* and found to be wider than existing fittings, it had languished on the landing until I could face the effort and inevitable mess of Getting Around To Doing It. Blood, sweat and tears, hitting bedrock, critical mis-measurements, as well as a Tesco delivery, led to an evening which was The Bad Dream Which Would Never End. At a very late hour, the New Blind was unfurled. And found to be too short*. Perhaps that packaging would have been useful...


My muscles ache too much to re-do it today, the giraffe neck from craning up to use the drill is Epic and Ouch.... so bits of hardboard rest against the windowsill to fully complete the blackout function of Too Short New Blind, until I feel gungho enough to put it right.

No comments: